Who needs our help?
Thank you to those who have already contributed, so far we have raised over $23K!
“There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land.”
Over 50% of the disciples in the Fiji church work directly in the Tourism industry either for Tour companies, hotels and resort suppliers. Another 10% have jobs indirectly connected to Tourism. So over 60% of the disciples rely on the Tourism dollar for sustenance.
Why is our help needed?
“Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people. especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”
Nadi International airport closed to international Tourists on 25 March 2020. From 15 April, close to 60% of the church are on LEAVE without pay, many have also lost jobs. Fiji being a tiny island nation with a very small economy government does not have any surpluses to cover “JobKeeper” programs like in Australia. Meaning that their families no longer have any income when they lose their jobs. Many disciples have been resourceful and have started planting on land. But pressures on families remain, including demand for basic food, and covering other expenses such as electricity, rent, water, etc.
Sadly, Tourism is not expected to resume until the end of the year or early in 2021. But even if it does, recovery will be slow and many families in the church have the real risk of running out of food in the coming months.
How can we help?
“All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of their possessions was their own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus. And God’s grace was so powerfully at work in them all that there were no needy persons among them“
For AUD$80.00 you can support a family of 2 adults / 2 kids with basic food items that will last for 4 weeks.
All purchases will be done via RB Patel supermarket and is a very basic food pack. Each pack will cost FJD $105.00. This food pack will be supplemented with green leafy vegetables from the garden such as “Bele”, “Rourou” and “Baji” and for some lucky ones out in the rural areas ….other protein sources such as fish, clams and edible seaweed from nearby rivers and oceans.
Because of the duration of the crisis it is planned that food drops will occur in June, September and December. This is the plan based on information we have on hand. But with AUD $20,000.00 we should be able to purchase 250 packs.
Details on ways we can help
Donate $80 AUD to Fiji using bank transfer or online
Be grateful for what you have.
- Pray for compassion and wisdom.
- Plan to help.
- Provide for the needs.
BSB: 062 146
Account name: Church Benevolence
Note in description: COVID
Choose dropdown: Benevolence
Note / Memo: COVID